Nikki Young Writes

Writing Exercises – Creating Fiction and Exercising the Brain

I finally feel like I am making some headway with my novel re-write. This is thanks, in part, to my daughter doing a two-hour gym session every Saturday. It gives me the opportunity to sit down and write for a reasonable length of time without any interruptions. Iā€™m 20,000 words in now, which is almost half way through and I feel a lot more positive about it than I did at the start.

Last week, I had great fun with a writing exercise. It was the Ten to One story and in case you missed it, I published my creation on the Friday Fiction post. The thing I like about the Ten to One story is the fact that it sets restrictive boundaries for the structure. Your first sentence must have ten words, your second nine, third eight etc. until you end up with one word for the last line. What goes inside this rigid structure is yours to create and I particularly enjoyed this combination.

In fact, I enjoyed this challenge so much, that I went in search of other similar writing exercises. There are tonnes of writing prompts and exercises on the internet, but here are some of the similar themed ones I found:

The Alphabet Story
Create a 26-line story where each line begins with a different consecutive letter of the alphabet, starting with A and ending with Z.

Noun and Verbs
On a sheet of paper, create two columns. In the first column, write down ten nouns and in the second column ten verbs. Pair them up at random and write a sentence for each pair. Then write a story using all ten sentences.

7x7x7x7
Take the 7th book from your bookshelf and open it to page 7. Find the 7th sentence of this page and begin a poem that starts with that sentence. Limit the poem to 7 lines.

What do you think to these? Do they grab your interest?

I am going to pick one of these and hopefully use it to create a fictional piece for my Friday Fiction slot. Does anyone want to join me?

I’m sharing this for What I’m Writing

Writing Bubble

Comments (0)

1. J.C. Wolfe 10th February 2015 at 2:17 pm

Great ideas! The Alphabet Story is another exercise in the same book where I learned about Ten to One, but I haven’t yet tried it out. The others look like fun too! I should definitely give them a shot. Thanks for the ideas! šŸ™‚

2. maddy@writingbubble 10th February 2015 at 2:58 pm

I loved last week’s challenge and it really gave me a confidence boost to write something short and snappy – in fact, to write anything at all because I’d been feeling so creatively sluggish! I’m definitely up for one of these challenges. Can’t quite decide which. Alphabet or 7x7x7 I think… Thanks for sharing with #WhatImWriting. xx

3. Emily Organ 10th February 2015 at 4:29 pm

I like these challenges – what a great idea. I haven’t done many in the past so may well give one a go for #FridayFiction.

4. redpeffer 10th February 2015 at 6:25 pm

Oh, now this is interesting. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with ideas and other’s it’s like a desert! I’m sure that most writers find this though, otherwise there’d be no need for all the various prompts out there. But these do look interesting and worth a try. My biggest problem is always time-I need a TARDIS šŸ™‚

• Nicola Young 10th February 2015 at 8:30 pm

You would never be short for prompts if you went looking for them, but I went in search of very specific writing exercises. Ones that weren’t completely open to interpretation. The challenge is to stick within the limits that they’ve set. It will be interesting to see where it goes.

5. sophieblovett 11th February 2015 at 2:50 pm

These sound like fun! I might have to give one a go if I can tear myself away from the edit for long enough…

6. Mummy Tries 11th February 2015 at 6:35 pm

Firstly how fab that you are doing so well with your rewrite – amen to two hour gym sessions! I love sound of the A-Z challenge, might have to have a go at that šŸ™‚

7. Jenny @ Let's Talk Mommy 11th February 2015 at 9:38 pm

Good for you hunny and glad you are getting time to put towards it. The A-Z challenge sounds great. Thank you ever so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

8. Pingback: Friday Fiction – 10 Verbs, 10 Nouns | Nikki Young Writes

9. Morgan Prince 13th February 2015 at 8:32 am

It’s great that you’re happy with your writing, I think it always takes a little progress to boost our confidence. I love the idea of those creative exercises, I must remember to try them.

10. Pingback: The solitary cat | Emily Organ, writer

11. Pingback: More writing exercises: 10-1 & A-Z | 38to39

12. Chrissie@muddledms 15th February 2015 at 8:38 pm

well done on getting stuck in to your rewrite.
    The prompts sound like fun. I’m pretty dry right now so nothing is forthcoming, but I’m intrigued by the alphabet story (and I’ve taken a sneak peek at Maddy’s.)
    Are you still doing your writing group?

13. Pingback: Friday Fiction – Jokes for Dads | Nikki Young Writes